Rector, UniDistance Suisse
UniDistance Suisse is an accredited university institute under the Federal Act on Funding and Coordination of the Swiss Higher Education Sector (Higher Education Act, HEdA). UniDistance Suisse is a fast-growing, innovative, multilingual institution offering university-level distance learning courses leading to bachelor’s and master’s degrees, and a range of continuing education and training programmes. Degrees are offered in the faculties of law, business & economics, history, mathematics & computer science, and psychology.
UniDistance Suisse adheres to the highest standards of quality in both teaching and research. With more than 2,300 students, it is one of the leading institutions in the field of internet-based distance learning at the university level. It has more than 400 employees, 350 of whom work in the field of teaching and research.
UniDistance Suisse is seeking an experienced leader with an excellent academic reputation to fulfil the role of:
Rector, UniDistance Suisse
The ideal candidate will be innovative and capable of using their excellent skills in strategic planning and implementation to augment the prominence and visibility of the institution as a provider of high-quality personalised and flexible university studies. The ideal candidate will be capable of promoting discipline-specific and interdisciplinary research conducted in the five faculties.
Place of work: Brig, Valais, Switzerland
Starting date: January 1, 2023, or as agreed
Your primary responsibilities
- You lead the institution and, together with the relevant governing bodies, create excellent conditions for teaching and research.
- You shape and promote the image and identity of the institution, based on your vision of the future of UniDistance Suisse.
- You coordinate and implement, in collaboration with the governing bodies of the institution and the canton of Valais, the development of UniDistance Suisse into a recognised Swiss university, thus completing, in a specific manner, the educational opportunities offered by the ensemble of Swiss universities. You support and develop the unique educational mission of UniDistance Suisse.
- You represent the interests of the institution at the local and national level and take an active role in the development and implementation of cantonal and Swiss higher education policy.
- You strengthen and expand the national and international networks of UniDistance Suisse and increase its profile.
- You commit to implementing the values of the European University Association (EUA), «Universities without walls – A vision for 2030», at UniDistance Suisse: openness, adaptability, transnationality, sustainability, diversity, interdisciplinarity, engagement with society, autonomy and accountability.
Your qualifications and skills
- You have strong leadership qualities and are a decisive and proactive individual, who, together with all those involved, plans strategically and implements changes in a targeted manner.
- You have an exceptional academic record in teaching and research. You are familiar with the Swiss and international higher education systems and have good personal connections. You are knowledgeable about national and international funding programmes for teaching and research.
- You have strong communication skills and experience in leading negotiations in the public and private sector.
- Connections with personalities and institutions in the canton of Valais are an advantage.
- Your first language is French or German with proficiency in the other language, respectively. Command of English is expected.
- The opportunity to develop and transform a recognised and accredited university institute into an accredited university in Switzerland, and to position it as such.
- An environment with proactive, dedicated, motivated and talented team members and students.
- An attractive working environment with a modern infrastructure and laboratories at the new campus for higher education distance learning in Brig.
- A place of work in a region with a great quality of life.
We look forward to receiving your application and letter of motivation by e-mail no later than 30 September 2022, to email@example.com
For further information, please contact Prof. Dr. Gerhard Schmitt, Chairman of the Selection Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org)