PhD student - Cognitive Psychology (Synaesthesia and Memory)
UniDistance Suisse, as an accredited university institute under the HFKG, has been offering part-time distance learning courses for 30 years. The Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programmes, as well as the continuing education courses in the fields of law, economics, history, artificial intelligence, mathematics and psychology, are recognised and internationally supported beyond Switzerland.
The UniDistance Suisse is oriented towards the highest quality standards not only in university teaching, but also in research. With more than 2300 students, it is the leader in distance learning in Switzerland. It employs over 400 staff, of whom around 350 are involved in teaching and research.
At the Faculty of Psychology at UniDistance Suisse, we are seeking applicants for a:
PhD position – Cognitive Psychology (Synaesthesia and Memory)
The current position is part of the research project funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation entitled «Do the same cognitive systems support perception and memory? A healthy special populations perspective». The goal of this 4-year project is to investigate the relationship between visual perceptual abilities and memory performance. The project is based on testing healthy special populations. The following publication provides an idea of the topic: OvalleFresa, R., Ankner, S., & Rothen, N. (2021). Enhanced perception and memory: Insights from synesthesia and expertise. Cortex, 140, 14–25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cortex.2021.01.024.
Place of work: Brig (Switzerland)
Start of work: 1 November 2022. Other starting dates can be negotiated
- planning, programming, and implementation of lab- and online-based studies
- appropriate data processing and analysis using current and advanced statistical methods (e.g., computational modeling)
- publication of results in peer-reviewed journals and their presentation at national and international scientific conferences
- very good Master’s degree in psychology (preferably in cognitive psychology)
- excellent methodological and statistical skills as well as very good knowledge in cognitive psychology
- strong in conceptual thinking, in data analysis (preferably in R), and in writing
- very good English skills
- ability to work independently on your own initiative and as part of a team
- 4 year full-time employment with excellent working conditions
- integration and collaboration in a productive team
- contact opportunities to renowned international scientists
- close supervision of the dissertation and close cooperation in the research project
- remuneration in accordance with the requirements of the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF, see https://snf.ch/en/2QbX0vSpcmmylCya/page/funding/project-staff)
Please apply with the following documents: CV, a copy of certificates, a letter of motivation in which you explain on a maximum of two pages and in English why you would like to work on the research topic, a sample document of an academic thesis (e.g., Master’s thesis). Please submit your documents via e-mail in a PDF file to Prof. Dr. Nicolas Rothen email@example.com.
Applications are reviewed until the position is filled. For further information, please contact Prof. Dr. Nicolas Rothen